Well as some of you may have heard I went to an ultra sound appointment on Wednesday evening and heard something no parent would want to hear. It was supposed to be just a routine ultra sound to check the size of the baby because I am measuring big and the next thing I know Dr. Courey is in the room trying to console me. The ultra sound lady called Dr. Courey down to come look at the ultra sound and then she came in and said"Everything is going to be OK, but there is something wrong with the baby." So then once I calmed down she explained that she thought the baby had something call Cystic lung Malformation or CCAM. She explained what it was and said that I would have to go to University of Washington Hospital to deliver her because she would need to go right over to Children's Hospital after she was born for a surgery to remove the Cyst. She said that I would need to go over there the next day to meet with the doctors and get a plan, well Thursday we couldn't go over but they called and said Friday at 9:00 we would begin meeting with all of the doctors that would need to be involved. So at 5:45 this morning Matt and I headed over to Seattle to get a plan. It started out with another Ultra Sound and it was so funny because on Wednesdays Ultra Sound and the one today they had a really hard time keeping up with her. All of their pictures were blurry because she wouldn't stop moving around. Right when they started we got to see her sucking on her fingers, so cute! Then after the Ultra sound we had to meet with a Genetic Counselor who basically just wanted to know family health and what not. Then we got to eat lunch in the cafeteria and I felt like I was on the set of Greys Anatomy because all the interns were in there eating and talking about their day. After lunch we met with Dr. Rothberger, the one who will be delivering the baby. She came in and said that after they reviewed the Ultra Sound they feel pretty confident that she does not have CCAM that she has what is called a Bronchogenic Cyst. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1005440-overview
We were glad to hear this because it is not quite as serious as CCAM. She will still require a surgery but as long as she does not show any signs of respiratory problems then the surgery will be done when she is somewhere around 3-6 months. We will still have to deliver her over in Seattle because there are still some risks after she is born and they want her to be by Children's just in case. They did an Amnio Cyntesis today and her lungs were not quite mature so they are going to induce me next week sometime. I will post that date when I know but she needs to coordinate with the NICU doctors and the Pediatric surgeons so that in case something does go wrong everyone is ready.
I have been so emotional the last couple of days and I am finally feeling really good about all of this. I am so grateful that this is something that is treatable and that will not cause any long term affects on our baby girl. She will still be able to live a totally normal life and the Pediatric Surgeon even said she could run a marathon if she wanted.
I have kept up on so many blogs where Parents have really sick babies, babies that require a lot of care and Parents that are having to say good bye to their babies and I cannot even imagine what they are going through now. I am having to deal with a fraction of what they are and yet I am still scared out of mind. My baby girl just doesn't want to come into this world being the 3rd girl, she wants us to have a little excitement along the way. I am so grateful to have such a supportive husband who has comforted me so much during the past couple of days, and to such have such a sweet 4 year old. The night we heard all of this we were saying prayers and I started to cry during the prayer and when we were done Avery said, "Mommy you don't need to cry about the baby because she is going to be OK because she is going to the doctor about her spot"
Thank you everyone for your calls, messages and support, we really appreciate it!
House pictures
17 years ago





17 comments:
You have every right to be scared, it doesn't matter if the health situation is "minor" or "major", when its YOUR baby, its scary. I think Avery gave you excellent advise tho. What a sweetie. I forgot to tell you that when we were eating at McDonalds tonight we were talking about the baby, and Avery says really loud, "So Grandma, how do babys get into the mommy's tummy?" Several people turned around and smiled, I mumbled through it somehow!!
I have been thinking about you guys all day and I am so glad that you have a plan and the cyst is the less serious of the two. I agree with Louise, it doesn't matter how bad the situation is when you are dealing with your children everything is scary. Avery is very wise you are very lucky to have 3 beautiful daughters!!! Much love, Shelli
We have been thinking constantly of you guys the last few days. SOOO relieved everything turned out better than expected. We are still praying for a uneventful delivery and healthy baby. Love and miss you all! Give your little cuties a kiss from all of us!
Courtney, Matt & girls,
We're so thrilled to hear that you received the "better news" yesterday on the baby...it still makes this situation scary and you have every right to be nervous, don't down-play what you're going through! Everyone has their own trials, unfortunately, and when it's your child, it's just heartbreaking to know what they have to go through. Just know that you're in the best hands at U of W for her delivery and Children's when/if the time comes for surgery. YOU'RE doing everything you can for her to recieve the best possible outcome and the rest is in His hands. Heavenly Father loves you so deeply as well as this sweet baby girl and He is there for you...
Praying for a good week for your family, filled with comfort and "stress-free" days (if that's possible?!?) in preparation for her big debut! You're going to feel like a star with all of that attention in the delivery room!!! We love you guys and just know that so many care... If you need anything, please let me know. I'd love to help out, Lord knows how many reached out to us in our difficult times! All our love and prayers-
Love,
The Allred's
Bryan, Katie, Jace, Caden & Maddie
testing this out
Okay this is the third try! I read your blog and am balling, Avery is so sweet...such a love!
We are so grateful that things are looking better and wish the distance between us was shorter in times like this. At the same time so grateful for the wonderful team of doctors you are going to have, and that Louise is close and was able to help out with the girls and that you all have the support of Matt's family. See you in a week and can't wait to meet our little show stopper! Such a frenzy waiting for her....she is probably loving it, right!Ha!Ha! She has everybody's nerves and emotions turned up. We love you Courtney you take care and keep calm at this time....all we will be well.
Love, Mama
What a dork, if I read my comment before posting it I could see that "we" did not go there! Sorry Love Mama
We were so happy to hear the "better" news. I hope she knows how much she is loved already! Can't wait to meet her! Love you guys tons.
I am so glad you posted. We have been waiting to hear. Always know we are thinking of you guys and hope there is something we can do (laundry, dinner, praying, babysitting!!)
Love,
Darin, Angie, Dani, Carley, Gracie, Lane & Justin
Andersens,
I'm so glad you made it over the pass and that you are in good hands. Your delivery stories do not disappoint and baby #3 didn't want to be the exception. I am glad it isn't as bad as they initially thought and I will certainly be thinking of you!! Good luck.
Oh, I forgot to tell you --there is a Great Harvest Bread close by Children's Hospital---bet you feel better now!!
Ditto to everyone above! We've been thinking of you too and I wish we could be closer to help out. Avery is the smartest 4 year old I know, must take after her Auntie Brenda. We love you and can't wait to meet the next gorgeous Andersen Girl! Give Avery and Adalynn big kisses for me!
I am so relieved (as are you!) that things are not as serious as they first seemed. What a blessing! Avery is so sweet, I love their faith. It's inspiring! You guys are in our prayers and we can't wait to meet this little firecracker of a girl that wants to be known as one of a kind. Love you guys!
We love you Courtney and are keeping you in our prayers. What great news...even though it's still hard to hear and know that she might still need surgery. You are in the best of hands over in Seattle! We are all thinking of you and if you need ANYTHING, please don't hesitate to ask. We look forward to meeting your sweet little girl and I can't wait to hear the name you have decided on!!! Love, Michelle and fam
Courtney and Matt-
Good luck to you this week. I will be thinking about you. I am so glad you have access to such a great team of doctors/nurses to care for you and your baby. I can't wait to see pictures of your beautiful new baby girl!
love you
Matt and Courtney,
I'm so glad that you got better news on Friday. I was really concerned. You have been in my prayers and I am sure everything will turn out great.
I will be anxious to hear about the baby when she gets here.
Take care
Janet
Courtney, and Matt. I just read about your little ones troubles. Just wanted you to know you are in our prayers and We will keep our fingers crossed that all will be well. Thank goodness for the blessings of the priesthood.
Post a Comment